01 December, 2006

Since Thanksgiving....

It's been a lovely week! Thanksgiving was a total success (even though the day started with my turkey being somewhat still frozen!). All was done on time, all tasted amazing, and no one had room for pie (but we still managed a bit). Let me know if you haven't gotten the pictures and I'll send you the invite to view them.

After that I went to Leamington Spa for three days with my friend Colette who is doing her PhD there (well, in nearby Warwick). That was oh so much fun. A couple of days of chill out time with cool people and lots of pub visits! We went to Stratford on Sunday (Shakespeare-land) and it was gooorgeous. That was lovely; had tea by the river, shopped on the High street which was so picturesque. I was walking through a postcard! It was a very chill, nice break away.

Then Monday morning I was off to London for four days of research at the British Library (awesome, I had to be interviewed, have a letter from my supervisor, documents of identity, got an admission card...I felt like I was being accepted into a secret society), shopping, show-seeing, and playing with Masaki!! She, Trip, and baby Noe were in town and I loved hanging out with them. It was just really comfortable and fun, and I saw a whole bunch of new areas of London that I hadn't explored before like Notting Hill and the Camden Markets.

I saw two shows and a movie while there as well. The movie was The Prestige with Christian Bale, Hugh Jackman, Scarlet Johansen and Michael Caine. It was great. It ends totally differently than you think its going to, and was just really g ood. The first hour was a bit slow, then I was like 'Wha??' And it was great from there on out, but I will not reveal anything. The second night there I went to Wicked the musical starring Idina Menzel (Maureen from Rent, married to Taye Diggs, amazing) and saw Taye Diggs come out of the mens room! He walked right past me! Sweet... that show was lovely. I'd heard a few of the songs before, but the whole show was just dazzling and clever with really dramatic and beautiful music. Its the story of the Wicked Witch of the West and how she and Glinda were college roomates, and she wasn't really wicked. It was wicked good :)

And then I saw Billy Elliot... I don't think I can quite express how much I loved it. If you know me, you know my slight obsession with this film and the baker's dozen amount of how many times I saw it in the theater... and this live show... oh girl. Every obsession is re-realized. Elton John wrote the music to it, the cast was amazing, the children in the show are unbelievably talented.... the women next to me must have thought that I was crazy. I cried, I laughed, I whooped, I cheered, I gasped, and I did not want to leave. It was amazing and I so want to see it again. 12 more times. I bought the soundtrack anyway, so that will keep me satiated for a bit.

Lots of love, and I'll be Stateside on December 13, less than two weeks! EEP! I didn't realize it was that soon! Wow...see you soon :)

No comments: